Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Halloween

Pumpkin Carving Fun!



Doug always does the pumpkin carving with the kids. We bought tons of pumpkins this year so Daddy did LOTS of carving. The middle pumpkin is a Dodge Challenger...of course!

The second one from the left (below) is Holly's name, then the pumpkin Savannah carved, and then the small one has a binky carved into it to represent little baby Jeffrey!

Every year, Doug's work has an office Trick or Treat activity. It's nice because we get to do most of our trick or treating indoors away from the cold. We got lucky this year because it warmed up about 20 degrees from the week before Halloween so it wasn't too bad.
When I asked Holly what she wanted to be for Halloween this year (a week before Halloween), she said, "I wanna be RED!" I suggested Little RED Riding Hood. She said, "YEAH!" She didn't know who Little Red Riding Hood was, but it had the word RED in it and she could wear RED and that's all she cared about. SO...I went to the fabric store, found a simplicity pattern, bought the material ($30!), and sewed like crazy the week before Halloween. The pattern was a bit confusing, but I had help from Nani (my brother-in-laws Grandma) and together, we figured it out!
Here is the dress without the cape. I was so thrilled that it turned out and actually fit her! It was a little long on her (she measured between the 1/2 size and size 1), so we didn't bother with the cute bloomers on the pattern because you wouldn't have been able to see them anyway.

I got Jeffrey's costume at Kid to Kid for $5, three days before Halloween after a last minute decision to dress him up. I love that he held up his candy bar for this picture like, "Hey, I got one too!"


Savannah wanted to be a "pretty" witch instead of the green faced witch with warts, but she did want me to draw a spiderweb and spider on her face.






I drove the girls to a few friends houses in other neighborhoods and then we did a little house to house trick or treating in Nana's neighborhood and ours. Holly kept warm with her cape/hood since I lined it with warm fleece. Savannah was in 3/4 sleeves and managed to stay fairly warm until the sun set and the chill set in. The house next door to Nana and Papa's was giving out cups of Stephen's Mint Chocolate Truffle hot chocolate. It was the perfect temperature to warm our bones and so incredibly delicious! I don't think Holly has ever had hot chocolate before, but she didn't waste any time drinking it down. I thought the hot chocolate was a great idea and luckily we got there before it was gone!

2 comments:

Katie said...

I don't know what it is, but Savannah looks JUST like you in that first picture. Must be the face she's making. Doug's pumpkin is awesome and I LOVE Holly's dress and cape- so cute!

kellykumquat said...

Kacy! Way to go on the costume! I consider sewing artistic ability and you've got it girl. Doug's pumpkins are rockin'!