Wednesday, March 5, 2008

My little composer

When I was 17, I composed a song for one of my Young Women Laurel projects. I had never composed a song before nor did I posses any music theory whatsoever. I had taken piano lessons since I was 10, but I wouldn't have considered myself advanced enough to compose music. Nevertheless, I felt that there was something in me that needed to be expressed and so, after about 3 months of tinkering around on the piano one summer (being particularly inspired by the pioneers who suffered much while crossing the plains), "Kacy's Theme" for lack of a better name, was born. For 15 years, my mom urged me to get it printed on paper, but I didn't have the resources to do so. Well, a year ago Christmas, I was able to surprise my mom with the sheet music for my very own copyrighted one hit wonder...now titled "All Is Well". She was so surprised and SO happy to have a copy that she could now learn to play after being able to only listen to it for 15 years! Well, I now keep my sheet music proudly displayed on the piano...knowing it will most likely be the only thing I ever compose.

Seeing my sheet music on the piano must have sparked some interest in Savannah as she all of a sudden felt the need to compose her own song (with no help or assistance from me or any other resource). This was the result... ...needless to say, I was very impressed, knowing she had not copied from any music. She just sat at the table and wrote it. It was her original. =)

Now both of our songs sit displayed on the piano for all to see.

Here she is in her musical debut, playing "Savannah's Theme"
(love the playing posture).
I think it's safe to say, she's ready for piano lessons!


3 comments:

Jody said...

That's so cute with both the compositions side by side on the piano.

BTW, did you know I'm going to start teaching piano once we move? Feel free to spread the word... :)

The Dobrons said...

She is soo much like you it's crazy!

Carli said...

I remember your piece and I am so glad that you finally got it down on paper. I'm sure your mom was overjoyed! Savannah's composition is fantastic -- certainly something to treasure!